mysticonnie's blog

Megalomania continues...
Cheese Diaries
a Conspiracy of 2
Listography!
Muffin Top

Sunday, December 21, 2003

Watched ROTK again today. It's by far (in my opinion) the best of the three. I bawled like a baby again although I did wind up taking two bathroom breaks this time (the first time, I made it without any!). I haven't really processed it enough (yet) to write a proper in-depth review, but I will say a few things. First, that I've been really, really looking forward to it (if you're reading this, you probably know me, and already know that). It's been really hyped up, by just about everyone, so I was expecting a lot. And it still blew me away. You know how in a really good movie, there will be parts where chills run up and down your spine? Well, I had chills constantly. Oh, and there were lots of tasty Legolas (and Aragorn) moments.

[Warning: spoilers!]



















Everybody's been talking about Sean Astin in his portrayal of Sam, and they're right. He deserves an Oscar, or at least a nomination. He really emerges as the hero of the movie, and (literally) carries it. But I'd like to recognize some other actors as well. David Wenham as Faramir gave a very moving, yet subtle performance, showcased the scene where his father, Denethor, denounces him for "allowing" Osgilliath to fall (they were hopelessly outnumbered). In his eyes, you can see the shock, the hurt, and the dismay, yet the attempt to steel himself and remain loyal against such harsh words. It's really too bad that we'll have to wait for the extended edition (hopefully) to see him and Eowyn fall in love in the Houses of Healing. But to be fair to Denethor, or at least explain his madness, I really hope that the extended version will at least reference his use of a palantir.

King Theoden is one of my favorite characters (Oh hell, they're all my favorite characters. Except Tom Bombadil.) and I love Bernard Hill's portrayal of him. When I reread Theoden's St Crispin's day speech in the book, I couldn't wait to watch him pull it off. Arise, Arise, Riders of Theoden!/Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!/ spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered,/ a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!/ Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor! Hearing shout it, while watching him ride along a row of hundreds of Rohirrim and while touching each of their spears was heart-pounding. So I was a little disappointed [huge spoiler]






















that they didn't show his funeral. They haven't talked about it at all, so I'm wondering if it's even going to be in the extended version, or maybe they're trying to keep people unspoiled.

Okay, I'm tired, so that's it for now. More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home