mysticonnie's blog

Megalomania continues...
Cheese Diaries
a Conspiracy of 2
Listography!
Muffin Top

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Further musings on an iPod nation.

I wasn't sure how I felt when I learned that U2 were shilling for Apple. Actually, I'll admit that I was a bit taken aback. I mean, as huge as they are, they never took corporate sponsorship for anything. Nowadays, things have changed, and it's become acceptable for artists to do commercials, in order to get their music out there. But the Shins doing a McDonald's ad is one thing... does U2 really need to do a commercial? But as Zack pointed out, "I don't see why they wouldn't. It makes sense." If you look at iTunes as a vehicle for promoting music, then doing a commercial for it would be the newest way of promoting your band. It's not quite the same as selling cars and Big Macs: there's a more direct correlation between the music and the product. Let's be real though... it does sell more iPods, which is okay by me - I happen to believe that if everyone owned an iPod, we'd have world peace. So you see? Everybody wins. Except Microsoft (which is good).

And hey, for all you naysayers, at least they didn't go and join the circus in Vegas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home