mysticonnie's blog

Megalomania continues...
Cheese Diaries
a Conspiracy of 2
Listography!
Muffin Top

Thursday, August 14, 2003

So I was listening to the radio this morning, and this super poppy and kinda whiny chick-with-guitar “Why Can’t I” song comes on. At first, I though it was Michelle Branch, but the chick sounded older. Her vocal range was better, she was technically better, and the lyrics, as poppy as they were, were a bit more mature (cheating on/with a lover). Actually, she sounded a little like Liz Phair. But no, I think to myself. Liz Phair wouldn’t record something this cheesy. But then again, she did do that Gap ad last year… I remember, ten years ago, way before Lil’ Kim, when she sang “I wanna before your blow-job queen,” on Exile in Guyville. Even Whip-Smart, her second album which was a little more commercial had that “you fuck like a volcano” line with that badass guitar lick. Alas, when the DJ came on, my suspicions were confirmed. Liz, oh, Liz, what’s happened to you? You have lost all indie cred. What’s next? Will Dan the Automator work with Jay-Z? Will PJ record a duet with Justin Timberlake. Sigh. I guess she hasn't done anything wrong, but I take this is a sign that I’m really getting older.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home