mysticonnie's blog

Megalomania continues...
Cheese Diaries
a Conspiracy of 2
Listography!
Muffin Top

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Can you imagine the schwag possiblities?

Zack and I just saw The Darjeeling Limited, and even he admits that that the plot central luggage set specially designed by Marc Jacobs/Louis Vuitton for the film is an object of desire.

I'm a big Wes Anderson fan, but I felt underwhelmed by his last endeavor, The Life Aquatic, especially as a follow up to one of my favorite movies, The Royal Tenenbaums. Style without substance, we said, as we left the theater. The Darjeeling Limited is a return to form, a study on fractured familial relationships, especially between siblings (brothers), with an undercurrent of grief (their father died one year earlier). Like Rushmore, it's a boys' movie, but it's also a quest (like the Life Aquatic). The latest addition to Anderson's cast of characters, Adrien Brody, injects a certain melancholy vulnerability that was missing from The Life Aquatic. I hope he pops up in Anderson's movies again. And one can't help be feel a weirdly prescient (imagined or not) vibe in Owen Wilson's performance as the oldest brother who has recently survived a motorcycle accident that may have been on purpose. As usual, the mise en scene (including that luggage) and the soundtrack is impeccable.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Jen(n) said...

Oh good, I was hoping someone would see this. I have been curious and now I think I'll check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home