mysticonnie's blog

Megalomania continues...
Cheese Diaries
a Conspiracy of 2
Listography!
Muffin Top

Monday, January 30, 2006

I don't feel different, except for the extra 10 pounds...

I celebrated my 30th birthday this weekend. Actually, my hubby began the celebration a week early, by sweetly giving me a pair of earrings in order to cheer me up, since I'd lost my favorite pair a few days before. The actual date was on Wednesday, when my husband and I enjoyed an intimate dinner at our favorite (and secret) sushi bar. Hideki, our chef, upon learning it was my birthday, pulled out his secret personal stash of distilled sake and made a special dish for me - halibut cured in kelp, with shiso and lemon. The official festivities didn't kick off until Friday, when I was given the day off. Since the lunar new year began this weekend, I decided to go for a double header. I went to yoga in the morning then treated myself to a mani-pedi. Justin flew up from LA to visit, so I picked him up and we went for facials and massages at the Sports Club LA Splash spa, then cocktails at the St. Regis and dinner at AME. The raw bar is there is spectacular, the entrees are pretty good, and the desserts are okay. I would recommend ordering mostly raw bar items, and sharing an entree and a dessert. Too full, we staggered into a cab home and watched Arrested Development before passing out. The next morning, I went to yoga (yes, again) then joined Justin and his Parisian friends at the Ferry Plaza farmer's market. We did the typical Justin-Connie thing, wandering from stall to stall, sampling the wares... a tamale here, a few oysters there, a chicken pot pie from one stall, some rabbit stew and pommes confit from another, a croissant from the bakery, a macaron, a cupcake and pot de creme from the patisserie (where we also got my birthday cake)... you get the idea. But really, it was okay - we walked it all off, wandering about the (empty) Financial District and chatting after we'd eaten our fill, before winding up at a wine bar. I'm amazed that we were able to eat any dinner, much less a Chinese New Year themed one at R and G Lounge. And because it's a Chinese New Year's theme, there has to be eight dishes - whole fish, whole poultry, buns, noodles, veggies, plus a few of my favorite dishes - salt and pepper crab!(While I love most of the traditional New Year's dishes, I find a few to be downright nasty - jai, a vegetarian stew, fried turnip pudding, and this bizarre seaweed dish that looks like a mat of tangled black hair.) Luckily, I had Zack, Justin, Ryan, Anne, Joey, Carla and Matt to help me out. I think we did pretty well. We went home and showed Justin Undeclared, which he deemed hilarious but painful to watch at the same time. The similarities between that show and our experiences at Griffiths Hall are a little too close for comfort. Anyways, we woke up to have a mexican brunch at La Pinata, then took a walk around my neighborhood before seeing Justin off.

It was a fantastic weekend, and thank you to everyone who took part in it. Honestly, I don't *feel* 30... yet.

1 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Jen(n) said...

31 will be even better. So I've heard. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home