mysticonnie's blog

Megalomania continues...
Cheese Diaries
a Conspiracy of 2
Listography!
Muffin Top

Friday, June 18, 2004

I have just learned that one of my oldest and dearest friends from childhood has stage 3 breast cancer.

She is 28 years old.

I'm in shock. I never considered that anyone in my age group would get it so young. I mean, I thought the likelihood was higher for women over 35 who haven't had children. But she's two weeks younger than me, has an eight month old baby boy and graduated from medical school two weeks ago.

My high school reunion is in two months. I'm undecided on whether or not I'll go. There are people I definitely don't want to see, and I'm somewhat ashamed of my lack of success in life, at least in comparison to my peers. But there are old friends that I have lost touch with that I'd like to see. And I can't help but wonder if there are any others that have been stricken with illness, or worse.

So I cross my fingers, and hope for the best. I hold the friendships that do remain, old or new, closer to my heart more than ever.

2 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Blogger zditty said...

I pray for your friend and offer you my support, sweetie

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Connie.

As I've told Ryan - I felt the same way about my reunion. But. I recommend going. What's to lose? You'll see people you haven't kept in touch with over the years and you might reclaim some friendships. You'll see people you don't want to see, and you might be surprised at how some of them turned out (most of the obnoxious snobs I went to school with actually turned out to be genuinely NICE people). And you'll see a whole lotta people who are in the same place as you - wondering if they could've done something differently to be more "successful" - but who are, overall, happy with their lot in life, and who still have many years to get closer to their own definition of "success" if they choose.

My two cents.
- Jen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home