mysticonnie's blog

Megalomania continues...
Cheese Diaries
a Conspiracy of 2
Listography!
Muffin Top

Saturday, May 06, 2006

cookbook meme (also cribbed from cristine)

How many cookbooks do you own?

45. Yikes! And there's probably more out there that I couldn't find, either. I though I had about 20. And that's not counting a bunch of food writing (McGee, Brillat Savarin, MFK Fisher, Steingarten, etc.), cocktail guides, periodicals and cheese books (The Cheese Board Collective Works counts, though). I have to stop going to Moe's!

Which cookbook did you buy most recently?

Pierre Herme's Chocolate Desserts, though I did receive a hardbound issue of Art Culinaire in the mail more recently.

Which is the cookbook that you read most recently?

Thomas Keller's Bouchon. I'm thinking of making quiche tomorrow.

Name 5 cookbooks that mean a lot to you.

1. Bouchon by Thomas Keller. Contains basic bistro favorites, down to a science. I use it all the time. Plus, the photography is gorgeous.

2. The Zuni Cafe Cookbook by Judy Rodgers. Again, lots of detailed explanations of great recipes. I don't get the sense that she's leaving a step out, as many cookbook authors are wont to do.

3. Chez Panisse Vegetables. I have all the Chez Panisse books, but this is the one I come back to the most. It's pretty easy for me to work with fruit, but a lot of times, I'll see a vegetable on sale at the market and I won't be sure what to do with it - stinging nettles? sorrel? However, this book sticks to veggies available locally, which is okay for the most part, but today, I found fiddleheads at Monterey Market, and I'll probably wind up just sauteeing them. And there isn't much information about Chinese vegetables, like gai lan, ong choy or duong gwah. That's okay though - that's what my mom's for!

4. Pierre Herme's Desserts. When I returned from Paris, I looked EVERYWHERE for this. It wasn't even on Amazon anymore - it was out of print. Finally, I found it at Diptyque on Maiden Lane, of all places. Pierre Herme, by the way, is Bono in terms of pastry chefs.

5. French Laundry by Thomas Keller. It's the best restaurant I've ever eaten at, and probably ever will eat at. I'm very proud to say that Anne and I and Justin and I have been able to actually make some of the recipes! I consider it a true bonding experience.

1 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger xtinehlee said...

...well, now I know what cookbooks to eye for my next purchases!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home