mysticonnie's blog

Megalomania continues...
Cheese Diaries
a Conspiracy of 2
Listography!
Muffin Top

Sunday, March 21, 2004

For a period of time in the mid-nineties, I went through a phase of wearing all black. If you knew me then, you know what I'm talking about. If you didn't, then you may remember the minimalist moment in fashion. Back then, I used to think Chanel suits were very old lady, stodgy and old fashioned. Somewhere along the line, that thinking changed. I'm not exactly sure when, or why it happened - maybe it was because I saw a picture of Kate Moss wearing one of the tweed jackets with a pair of distressed jeans. But about two years ago, I tried one of these jackets on with a pair of jeans at Jeremy's. Since then, I haven't really been able to get it out of my mind. Naturally, I don't have a couple thousand dollars to blow on one of these suits - who does? Even at Jeremy's, the jacket was going for something like 9 hundred bucks... still way out of my price league. Recently, I've been a little more obsessed with finding a similar jacket, combing vintage stores and comparing other brands, but none have fit quite the same - the way the shoulder squared for a fraction of an inch over the bicep, the way the sleeves curved to hug my arms, the nipping at the waste, the little details in trim that distinguishes it from others, even the buttons, which I previously thought were kind of gaudy felt exciting to wear. And with the jeans - oh! It was to die for. Anyways, I went to the Vintage Fashion Expo this weekend, hoping to find a similar (not necessarily Chanel) jacket. The very first thing that caught my eye was a perfect pink - not the baby pink that has become the new black, but strawberry ice cream pink - tweed suit. Quite fittingly, it turned out to be Chanel. Figures, huh? Anyways, it was 700 bucks - not a bad price, but still way out of my price league. As it turned out, it was too big anyways. (It was a 42. I'm a 38.) I saw one other tweed suit I liked, but the shoulders didn't fit right. I also tried on a stunning hot pink wool overcoat. It was like technicolor, it was so vibrant, but it was too big as well. I did wind up picking up a red and cream graphic rose print Diane Von Furstenburg wrap dress that had never been worn for 50 bucks, though. Not bad, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home