mysticonnie's blog

Megalomania continues...
Cheese Diaries
a Conspiracy of 2
Listography!
Muffin Top

Thursday, March 09, 2006

We do chicken right

































A new Safeway opened near my house shortly after Thanksgiving last year. Up until recently, I hadn't stepped inside a Safeway for quite some time. I usually do my grocery shopping on Saturdays, when I go to the farmers' market, the butcher, the fishmonger, the bakery, Monterey Market/Berkeley Bowl/Whole Foods, etc. If I need anything during the week, I'm lucky enough to have a Thursday farmers' market across the street from my office, and sometimes, I go to the Trader Joe's that opened a few years ago in the same shopping center as the Safeway, or the natural grocery store down the street. I guess you could say I have pretty discriminating requirements when it comes to my groceries. Once in a great while, there's a late night TP or paper towel run to Safeway, but buying such sundries in as huge of a bulk mass as possible from Target has saved me from these nocturnal sojourns recently. The new Safeway, however, is hard to resist, especially since we received a thick book of coupons that promised over 50 dollars in savings. Roughly modeled in a craftman style, with high, high ceilings, exposed beams and a faux hardwood floor, it's huge - probably twice the square footage of the old one - and it unabashedly caters to a more upscale customer. They sell le Creuset cookware, Williams-Sonoma cookbooks and those (quite frankly, silly) stemless Riedel wineglasses (no Scharffenberger chocolate, though!). In addition to the pharmacy, florist, bakery, butcher, deli, bank and Starbucks, there's also a panini grill, a sushi counter, a carving station, an olive bar and a selection of about 4 - 6 hot soups. With the opening of this new Safeway, a new line of organic Safeway Select products debuted - the "O" line. In addition, the produce department boasted of carrying an expanded selection of organics.

A few weeks ago, after we ran out of paper towels, razor cartridges and needing to pick up some chicken for a curry dish, I decided to just buy everything from Safeway. It's been a while since I've purchased meat from Safeway (except for the whole cooked dungeness crabs that were $3.99 a pound - combined with the aforementioned $2.00 off coupon, that worked out to be 4-5 bucks per one and a half pound crab!). Since reading Fast Food Nation and with the whole BSE and bird flu scare, I've been very careful about where I purchase my meat - I want to know where and how the animal was raised, when it was slaughtered, and when it arrived at the place I'm purchasing it from. Also, driving down Highway 5 and seeing (and smelling) the conditions of Harris Ranch (which is marketed as a higher-quality product) really turns my stomach. I'm not averse seeing an animal alive before I eat it. I have yet to meet a crustacean that gives me pause before throwing in a boiling pot, and I still remember going to poultry sellers with my mother as I was growing up to pick out a chicken to be butchered for the night's dinner... I'm fairly certain it wasn't organic, nor was it free range, but that had to be the best tasting chicken we got. These local "boutique" meats I usually purchase (after giving the butcher the third degree about it) - Hoffman chickens, Liberty Farms duck, Meyer Ranch pork, Western Grasslands lamb, Prather Ranch beef, Niman Ranch anything, etc. - are considerably more expensive than going to Costco or an average supermarket, but I justify it to myself by buying very little of it (smaller servings), plus we only eat eat meat for four days of the week. (if we eat out, I'm not so stringent... and popeye's chicken is the shiznit!) It also tastes better. I was surprised though, to discover that Safeway did carry organic chicken. However, none of the organic chicken was available whole. Nor was it available as whole thighs, whole legs, whole or split breasts... in fact, it was all pre-skinned, pre-boned, wet little cryovac'd pink blobs on styrofoam trays. It was extremely unappetizing. "Who buys this stuff?" I wondered. But I guess I'm an unusual consumer. I know more than a few people who are grossed out by a whole uncooked chicken. And eating out with others at Chinese restaurants has shown me how disturbed people get when they are served a whole fish, chicken or duck with its head still on. ("I don't like it when my food is looking at me," I've heard more than once) One finicky eater I know refuses to touch any meat on his plate if there's any signs of bone, skin, fat or cartilage. I don't think that such habits are unusual. But how disassociated are we from the animals we consume if people are buying prepackaged organic boneless skinless chicken tenders (not the whole breast - just the tenders!)? It's as though people don't want to acknowledge that the meat they eat was once a living, breathing creature. It saddens me a little, because (I think) it seems displays a lack of respect for the life an animal gives up in order to feed and nourish us. I don't want to seem like I'm judging those who buy these products. After all, I (reluctantly) wound up purchasing some skinned and boned organic thighs (I think Foster Farms chicken is really gross... besides, what the hell am a gonna do with 6 pounds of chickens thighs that I dislike?), and there is the convenience factor to consider. But such processing winds up doubling or tripling the financial cost to the consumer, ($6.99 a pound for the tenders! Hoffman's organic free range whole chickens are $2.89 an pound). You may as well forgo the meat and have something vegetarian for dinner instead. Sigh. I guess I've turned into a real Alice Waters worshipping/farmer's market junkie/Bay Area food snob.

4 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger zditty said...

I like your point here sweetheart, and in a way I agree with it totally.

Animals die to produce meat. We as consumers do not get to ignore that.

I don't think going organic is the be-all, end-all answer. My solution is simple but most folks can't do it (probably us included): Eat what you kill, eat what you grow.

If you could not look an animal in the eye and respectfully take its life for you or your family to eat, I really believe you have no business eating meat at all.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

This is a cool post, especially the picture, but also the information.

Some random thoughts:

-Jonathan Kauffman did a story on this Safeway in the March 1 Express and made a cool chart showing that, for the particular "foodie basket" of groceries he selected, Safeway was almost as expensive as Whole Foods. Without the coupons, obviously, and there was no wiggle room in the "basket" to buy anything on sale.

-SF has had a similar Safeway for about a year, at Mission Bay. These are called Lifestyle Safeways. That one is probably smaller, however.

-Albany was on track to get one on Solano, but the residents are fighting because it would double the size of the existing Safeway. Ditto in Burlingame.

-That's ridiculous they don't sell whole organic chickens. Or even whole legs. And taking the skin off is a crime. In addition to distancing you from the animal and limiting the cooking and taste, chicken processed this way requires a lot of manual labor by poorly paid workers who end up with RSIs. Someone has to take off that skin and pull apart the chicken.

-I'd be keen to try killing my own fowl and watching a cow go under the knife, only because I'd be able to make a more informed choice about continuing to eat meat. I think it's only a matter of time before we see some sort of Ranch/Bed&Breakfast hybrid. Obviously as an educational thing.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger connie said...

Thanks for your kind comments, boys! I'm very flattered.

The picture, of course, is from a street market in Paris. Supermarkets do exist, and people go there, but the tradition of going from vendor to vendor to pick up assorted groceries is alive and well. There's even a specialty store for frozen foods!

That's a little scary that Safeway is as expensive as Whole Foods. Then again, Whole Foods has stuff that's even more expensive than what's offered at Safeway (if that makes any sense). It's hard to go to Whole Foods without spending like, fifty bucks, and I'm waiting in the 10 items or less line!

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger xtinehlee said...

You speak the truth! I have found that Safeway isn't that much cheaper than Andronico's or Berkeley Bowl (in fact, the North Berkeley Safeway is more expensive than the North Berkeley Andronico's)...

and too, I have not shopped at a Safeway in a long time--and it is not by accident, either. You got the same grocery store list as I do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home