1. One book that changed your life:
Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad. Read it as a teenager, and really made me ponder what kind of cruelty dwelled beneath the "civilized" around me.
2. One book you have read more than once:
Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson. Oh, and The Secret History, by Donna Tartt. But let me be completely honest, and admit Interview With the Vampire.
3. One book you would want on a desert island:
If I were clever, I'd say The Worst Case Scenario Handbook. Otherwise, Ulysses.
4. One book that made you laugh:
To avoid repeating authors (see number 8), I'm going to say Consider the Lobster, by David Foster Wallace.
5. One book that made you cry:
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers. The part towards the end, where he locates his mother's ashes.... Man, I was bawling.
6. One book you wish had been written:
A fully edited and complete version of the Simarilion.
7. One book you wish had never been written:
The Da Vinci Code. Everyone talks about how it's so provocative, and controversial, and blah, blah, blahbitycakes. But does anyone notice how horribly
8. One book you are currently reading:
I just finished Naked, by David Sedaris. Hilarious stuff - "Strap electrodes to the skulls of rhesus monkeys and shock them into a stupor, but it is inhumane to place a nudist on horseback the day after a chili cookoff. ('Was he always
9. One book you have been meaning to read:
Dude, I have a very long list. Mrs. Dalloway, Vanilla, Lolita, The Brothers Karamazov, the Omnivore's Dilemma, the last couple Harry Potters, Kavalier and Clay...
10. Five people tagged: I don't really meme-tag, cause I'm not sure I could come up with five people who read this. But if you feel inspired, jump in by all means.